Sunday, January 17, 2010

Beat the Water!


As children, my siblings and I would stand at the kitchen sink while mom did the dishes. Back then we did not have a septic system in place. Instead, the sink drain was connected to a pipe that ran above ground to an irrigation ditch located outside our front door. As soon as mom pulled the sink plug, we kids raced out of the house shouting "beat the water." Our goal was to reach the discharge end of the pipe before the water started pouring out. We put everything we had into the race. Repetition barely diminished the excitement. That is the way it is with childlike enthusiasm. You put your all into the simplest of tasks, and you find joy in the most routine of diversions. As we grow older, however, that youthful zest dims. We fall into ruts. We go through the motions. But it does not have to be that way. I, for one, refuse to go that route without a fight. I will search for the small pleasures. I will share them with those I love. That is the point of CowEye. Maybe -- just maybe -- by sharing this optimism others will learn the joy of playing "beat the water."

No comments:

Post a Comment